Saturday, July 31, 2010

River Kingfisher

     In the eighteen years I've been in Taiwan, I've seen only three river kingfishers and then only on a total of four occasions.  Most recently was today: July 31, 2010, and I was fortunate enough to have my camera on me. 
    I had never seen a river kingfisher in Taipei County before and wasn't expecting one then.  I was stalking an unidentified heron when, through the corner of my eye, I glimpsed a flash of turquoise fly past me.  After determining the direction in which it had flown, I crept up to that spot. Upon spotting the bird I alternately took pictures and slid my feet sideways, inches at a time, to move closer.
     With the small digital camera I use, it's hard to get a clear photo of a small bird.  These pictures, which I took at Shuangxi Creek (Shuangxi Riverside Park) will have to do.
*          *          *

No comments:

Post a Comment