Thursday, July 15, 2010

Oriental Ibis

        Until 2009, I don't recall ever seeing an Oriental Ibis.  That's when I took most of these pictures along Huangshi Creek in Huangshi Riverbank Park.   They're a bit blurry because I couldn't get any closer to them than that.  I took some more along the wetlands just this side of Guandu.
     Here are the ones from Huangshi Riverbank Park: 

     I took the following pictures along the boardwalk of the mangrove swamp (wetland) near Guandu.  Lots of Oriental ibises fly over the area, and I took lots of pictures hoping to get a shot of one.  
     Because of the light, all I could see in the viewfinder was my reflection.  All I could do is point in the right general direction and hope for the best.  I ended up discarding maybe twenty pictures of nothing but cloudy sky.  
     The blurry picture below is useful only for indicating the Oriental ibis's manner of flight.  On two earlier occasions, I saw one on the ground, perfectly positioned for a good photo.  On the first occasion, I didn't have my camera with me.  On the second occasion, it flew away before I was ready.  I hope that the third time will be the charm.
          A little farther toward Danshui, just before you reach the Guandu Bridge, I saw these fellers going for a stroll along the mudflats.

No comments:

Post a Comment