Monday, December 26, 2011

Drongo

      Over the years, I've seen many, many drongos; but, until fairly recently, they've been hard to capture on camera.  All of the ones on this page were posing for me on the same day.  While bicycling between Shih-lin and Danshui, I took a path less traveled and got close to a blue drongo near a rice field.  On the way back, I photographed a black drongo (directly below) standing watch over a rice field.


     I had to check the Internet to make sure of whether both of these birds were blue or black drongos.  After all, they both have a bluish tint to them.  Blue drongos, though, are a more vivid shade of blue than the one you see above.  At the time I photographed them, I couldn't tell the difference.  In the pictures, however, I can see it.


*       *       *
     The one you see perched by the building (the nearby rice field is off camera) is a blue drongo.

     I was fortunate that day.  It was the first time I'd photographed either species of birds, and I photographed both in the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment